Friday, May 04, 2007

they eat, and eat, and eat

The worm composter is running well. The worms are eating their meals. I'm blending up their food for now to help get the process going more quickly. I put food scraps like broccoli stalks, collard green stems, and carrot tops in a jar. Then when I have enough, I dump all the scraps in a blender, add a bunch of water, and ta-da! -- instant worm food.

Here is the slop poured into the first empty tray (about 3:00pm).


I then cover it with a sheet of wet newspaper.
Here is the slop the next morning (about 7:00 am).

Here it is about 24 hours later (3:00 pm).

And finally about 48 hours later (3:00 pm).

As you can see, they've sucked it all down leaving only the fibrous material.

1 comment:

Book said...

Hi Andrew - Your Mom told me about her blog, so I had time and stopped by. Now I am stopping by your blog. Haven't gotten far - b/c I just wanted to know - where did the red worms go after you fed them? I don't see them on the metal tray - can you fill in the picture I am not seeing? Hope you and Melissa are both well in the east coast. Book