Tuesday, January 16, 2007

thank you FreewayBlogger

via VideoStumble, I learned about a person called FreewayBlogger. He demonstrates how to use freeways (highways) as a place for effective public communication. This really inspired me to get back into the Pedestrian Propaganda Project (PPP).

Something like a year ago, I went around my school campus (Humboldt State University), and posted signs. They were very small (about 3x4 inches), were printed on re-used paper, and were glued up with starch-paste (in keeping with our beliefs in sustainability). I put them in spaces that would recieve a lot of traffic, and yet would not draw a lot of attention. It was my first run at the propaganda thing, and I only had four different pieces in the PPP. Well lately I have been designing more PPP pieces (thanks to my new daily creativity contract with myself) and the time is approaching to go out into the world again.

See, we are moving in two weeks to Philadelphia. And though Arcata has been a wonderful little place to live, I feel very removed from the "real world". I have been thinking on how to make use of the PPP as best as possible. I considered actually making metal (enameled) signs just like the city uses. But I really prefer the frugal approach -- hence my previous run of little paper posters. Then I come accross the FreewayBlogger, and that really gets me back into my own mode and reminds me how effective the "good old fashioned" methods are. I think that I even want to try some freeway-blogging myself. But I am going to at least get back into my posters. This is all quite exciting.

1 comment:

Carole Free said...

I am also excited by the work you are doing and I am waiting with anticipation to see where this leads. Waiting to be led...MO